General Knowledge 7 courses
• Explain the purpose of vapor retarders and common areas of use in building construction.
• List the main vapor retarder material types, including typical products and use.
• Explain the vapor retarder classification…
• Explain the basics of heat flow, including
direction, equilibrium and heating/cooling loads.
• Describe heat flow by conduction, cite examples.
• Describe heat flow by convection, cite examples
• Describe heat flow by…
• Understand the significance of water damage in buildings
• Explain the strategies of moisture management in building design and construction
• Describe the fundamentals of water transport by
– Bulk Flow
• Explain the basics of air movement, including direction, units, modes and leak paths
• Describe wind, stack and fan pressure in buildings
• Explain relative humidity, absolute humidity and dewpoint
• Describe how…
• Define insulation
• Understand why insulation in buildings is important
• Explain how foam insulation and fiber insulation
• Explain U-Value, R-value and the contribution
provided by wall insulation
• Explain the…
– Composition and manufacturing process
– Industry association & key players
– Chemistry basics & main characteristics
– Installation basics
– Main advantages and limitations
• Explain barrier cladding, membrane-drained cladding and drained and back-ventilated cladding
• Describe the function of a Water Resistive Barrier (WRB)
• List different types of materials marketed as WRBs
• Explain the purpose…